Thursday, March 31, 2011

Still Waters Run Deep

The expression "still waters run deep" is generally used to say that someone who appears simple may in fact be very complex internally. As a metaphor it means a seemingly uninteresting thing, still waters, has a whole lot hidden beneath it's surface. Personally, I don't think thats very true. Honestly, there are people who are "deep" and those who are superficial no matter how they act. I don't think it pertains to any one group. To me its kind of a generalization. The opposite of this statement, all outgoing people are shallow would not go over well. However being deep is recognized as a good thing so I doubt many people would have a problem with it.

1 comment:

  1. I think your treatment of this aphorism as a generalization allows your remarks to ring true. I got a bit confused following your train of thought, though.

    ReplyDelete